Topic: The Tung Blossom Festival (客家桐花季)
Every year, from mid-April until mid-May is the season when the Tung trees
blossom. On the
hills of Miaoli and Taoyuan, it is breathtaking views of flowering tung trees.
White petals fall
slowly like snowflakes and all over the ground--often described as “April snow”
or “May snow”.
During this period, the annual Hakka Tung Blossom Festival takes place. This
the heritage and culture of Taiwan's Hakka community, which makes up about 15
percent of the
During the Japanese colonial period, the Tung trees were an important cash crop
for the Hakka.
Tung tree’s seed oil was in demand in paint-making, and its wood is a basic
material in furniture
at that time. So now, the sakura-like blossom has become a symbol of the Hakka
reflecting their heartfelt gratitude towards the tung tree, the mountains, and
LANGUAGE FOCUS 學習焦點
have become a symbol of …
--The Cross has become a symbol of Christianity.
--Totem poles have become a symbol of Seattle.
WORDS & PHRASES 詞彙片語
1. blossom [ˈblɑsəm] (v.) 開花 (n.) 花
2. breathtaking [ˈbrɛθˌtekɪŋ] (adj.) 令人屏息的；極其美麗的
3. petal [ˈpɛt̬əl] (n.) 花瓣
4. (be) described as (phr.) 把……描繪成
5. annual [ˈænjuəl] (adj.) 每年的；一年一次的
6. heritage [ˈhɛrɪt̬ɪdʒ] (n.) 遺產；傳統
7. community [kəˈmjunət̬i] (n.) 社區；共同體
8. colonial [kəˈloniəl] (adj.) 殖民地的，殖民時期的
9. cash crop [kæʃ krɑp] (n.) 經濟作物
10 in demand (phr.) 非常需要的；受歡迎的
Powered by Firstory Hosting