Topic: The pineapple cake
The pineapple cake (鳳梨酥) is a Taiwanese shortbread filled with pineapple jam. It
is also called
pineapple tart or pineapple shortbread. Pineapple cake has become one of the
souvenir treats in Taiwan. The pineapple cake tastes more like a tart than a
cake. It is covered
with crispy crust. The moist, sour jam in the middle perfectly balances the dry,
outside. It is only available in Taiwan.
What makes Taiwan’s pineapple cake so famous and popular? For one, Taiwan is a
producer and exporter of pineapples. Another is the name, which has something to
culture and language. The Taiwanese dialect of pineapple “ong lai” sounds
similar to the phrase
“prosperity has arrived” in Mandarin. No doubt, pineapple cake has become a
symbol of wealth,
good luck and prosperity in Taiwan.
LANGUAGE FOCUS 學習焦點
have something to do with ...
-- Overweight has something to do with lack of exercise.
--Stomach rumbles may have something to do with hunger.
WORDS & PHRASES 詞彙片語
1. shortbread [ˈʃɔrtbrɛd] (n.) 奶油甜酥餅
2. sought-after [ˈsɔt ˌæftɚ] (adj.) 熱門的，廣受歡迎的
3. souvenir [ˌsuvəˈnɪr] (n.) 紀念品
4. crispy [ˈkrɪspi] (adj.) 酥脆的
5. moist [mɔɪst] (adj.) 潮濕的；濕潤的
6. balance [ˈbæləns] (n.) 平衡
7. exporter [ɪkˈspɔrt̬ɚ] (n.) 出口商；出口國；出口公司
8. dialect [ˈdaɪəlɛkt] (n.) 方言，地方話
9. phrase [frez] (n.) 片語
10 prosperity [prɑˈspɛrət̬ɪ] (n.) 成功；（尤指經濟上的）繁榮，昌盛
Powered by Firstory Hosting